Total time spent:
- ~1+pm to 6:30 pm = 5.5 hours, including setup and cleanup
- And I did do one row of extra gradients in my sketchbook with my leftover paintthat took maybe 10 minutes
If I were to start this painting over right now, what would I do differently?
- Do the gradients sooner, go object to object rather than blocking out all the 2D parts first.
- Other note: Using 2 cm of paint in general is good, I keep running out of mod shadow first, though, maybe I should add a bit more paint to start.
- Use a sharper pencil, the transfer lines were a bit fat
- Keep working on gradients, more focus on the ball in particular (I think I need to rewatch the gradient videos
- Did the whole assignment in one day on Saturday afternoon (3/5).
- I usually paint in the morning, but I was feeling a bit distracted/down/busy that morning and painted in the afternoon instead
- It was still nice to get into the groove/flow of painting, but it got broken up several times due to tech issues and taking care of the dog, so my concentration was broken a few times and wasn’t able to get as much into flow
- I listened to a fantasy writer’s week recordings while painting, it was nice to listen to writers talk about their process
- Trying to get tech to work so I can create pics/vids is a pain in the butt. I may need to invest in better equipment, the phone is not cooperating!
This is the final painting I submitted for grading:
I submitted the assignment at around 1:30am on Sunday (issues with uploading again. Sigh), and got a response on Monday morning, at 5:08am. They must have international graders 🙂
My Questions & Instructor Feedback
- I asked if there was an order for painting. Top down? Dark to light? Right to left?
- Alex said we do shadows first because it helps you mix the right values later int he program and not confuse lights with shadows, a fundamental for realistic painting.
- The rest of her answer was a bit confusing. I will have to follow up via email.
- Alex, the instructor who gave feedback this time, also pointed out that the top of my cube had gone crooked, so I need to watch out for that, especially with transfer lines.
- Also, she recommended painting object to object if I paint in multiple sessions.
Lesson Video Notes
No new lesson video for this assignment, just continue doing what we’re doing~!
Feb 26, 2022
- First time doing an assignment with no videos!
- First time doing an assignment with three 3D objects!
- Time to apply EVERYTHING we’ve learned from the previous videos!
- We’ll see how this goes…