I challenged myself perhaps beyond my ability to create a dragon-themed picture for my final assignment in Block 2. I happened to have a Dragon Fruit on hand, and decided to make an origami dragon for thematic reasons and call the whole thing “Dragon’s Fruit” 😉
The sketch itself took over 2 hours, so that kind of “broke the rules” there. But I knew before I started painting that this would be a tricky subject, so I decided to paint object-to-object for the first time, and I think that was the right decision.
Still didn’t quite follow Kevin’s very stepwise and procedural darks-to-lights rule, especially when it came to highlights and reflections and shading because I always end up missing something and having to go back. The dragon fruit gave me the most trouble, more than expected, and the origami dragon less than expected.
TK YT Pub Assignment video
Total time spent:
If I were to start this painting over right now, what would I do differently?
- Friday night I took two hours to do the initial sketch and transfer to canvas.
- I measured everything, then multiplied it by 1.5
- Started around 9pm and finished around 11pm
- Saturday I set aside half the day to do the painting, and took less time than expected.
- Started at around 11-11:30am and finished around 5pm+ I actually started by fixing the sketch (the origami dragon neck was too thin and at the wrong angle)
This is the final painting I submitted for grading:
I submitted the assignment at 9:30 am on Monday, 10/3 and got a response at TK.
My Questions & Instructor Feedback
Lesson Video Notes
Date #, 2022
Notes on TK Assignment Name